Happy 4th! Today is one of my favorite holidays because it combines three things I love: USA! USA! beer, and BBQ. A 4th of July tradition is Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest which TPOL tried to emulate a few years ago by consuming 2lbs of dog, 2 buns, and a mound of chili cheese fries in an hour. Other contests include the Big Mac Challenge in Prague, Czech Republic and the 2lb Burger Challenge in Drummond, Montana which I still think I won.
In honor of today, I have come up with ten new eating contests should you happen to be spending your 4th at a lounge.
- Curry at KIX: Have the machine pour yourself a beer then load up your plate with mounds of rice and mystery meat. It’s time to get to work.
- Pasta at PVG: Be quick on your feet and make the mad dash to the pasta feed in Shanghai before other eager contestants get there.
- Carrots at DTW: Sadly, America doesn’t provide a lot of great gorging opportunities but a carrot contest is very possible in just about any US airport.
- Dim Sum at PEK: Yes! Dim Sum. They reload the dim sum fast enough to make this a viable contest.
- Egg Whites at MSP: TPOL’s favorite breakfast is hard-boiled eggs. Peeled egg whites is a luxury item fit for a king. Get after it!
- Wieners at HKG: Late night at HKG? Indulge in as many wieners as is humanly possible. This is more inline with a proper hot dog contest.
- Kufta at IST: The Costco of airport lounges is in Istanbul. Kufta prepared fresh and hot of the grill makes for a great contest. Alternatively, you can clog your arteries with a baklava eating contest.
- Donuts at SNA: How are your arteries? In good shape? Then get to John Wayne’s United lounge for donuts and more donuts. Milk is for cheaters.
- Sushi at DXB: Who gets full from sushi? See if you will at Emirates First Class Lounge in Dubai.
- Ramen at NRT: Made to order, devouring bowls of ramen at the ANA lounge in Narita is a nice way to take the title of American Douche from the party described in this linked post.