I once wrote a post called “Click Here!” How Blogs Make $. There I covered how bloggers get paid for whining about a mistake fare being cancelled. I also plugged the best book of all time, Everyone’s Advice Is Wrong . . . Including Mine (new version set to be released in 2018 with audio from The Gate’s Brian Cohen), as a way beyond advertising that bloggers can attain fame and fortune. With blogging and authoring coming along nicely and with almost 4,000 followers on Instagram (follow thepointsoflife), TPOL briefly considered setting up a YouTube channel to expand his global brand. Right now I am one subscriber strong. (subscribe here to double the viewership.)
Ultimately, I decided against it. Here’s why:
- Call me a romantic. But maybe one day people will want to read instead of watch videos of monkeys hurling feces.
- Call me lazy. I don’t bother taking videos.
- Call me lazy. I don’t want to edit videos.
- Call me a romantic. See number one.
If those weren’t reason enough, then the Bloomberg article ‘Success’ On YouTube Still Means a Life of Poverty surely is. The article states some funny facts:
- 96.5 percent of all of those trying to become YouTubers won’t make enough money off of advertising to crack the U.S. poverty line.
- Breaking into the top 3 percent of most-viewed channels could bring in advertising revenue of about $16,800 a year.
- One in 3 British children age 6 to 17 told pollsters last year that he/she wanted to become a full-time YouTuber. That’s three times as many as those who wanted to become a doctor or a nurse.
That’s not to say that I won’t post videos on YouTube and continue to put them on my blog. Who wouldn’t want to watch these priceless clips over and over?
While not on YouTube, remember when I was an international pointsstar on CNN Business Traveller with Richard Quest? (And all that misguided anger that came as a result? For the record CNN created that elementary MS diagram.) Now that the hate mail has subsided, the aggrieved claimants rightfully call Bachuwa Law, the churner’s champ, when they get shutdown by banks. But I digress.
And my favorite, TPOL’s Silent Disco on Emirates A380 where I perform Fresh Prince’s Boom! Shake the Room while sippin’ on drank, sippin’ on drank. (Angry comments also followed.)
After watching these, maybe I should become a vlogstar.
Ayy, I’ve been traveling far and churnin’ cards
Man, I feel just like a pointsstar
You can ask to keep the whole bottle on EK?
I never thought about doing that and one of my flights only had 2 people in F.
For sure. On one of the let’, the purser wouldn’t let us go back to the b class bar without a bottle if Dom!
I’m the 2nd subscriber! Checkout Passport Heavy for good tips on videos. Looking forward to watching.
Yes! VIP status for you. Thank you.