First, USA Today puts out an uninspired Bucket List Destinations for 2017. Now, Forbes has followed up with Quit Your Job And Live Abroad: 8 Places So Cheap You Might Not Need To Work.
None of them are in my Final Four of Where Tpol Moves Next but there are some interesting options.
8. Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: I went there last December and wrote a handy Guns & Butter Travel Guide. It’s a nice place to visit for a few days but I could not imagine living there for an extended period of time.
7. Granada, Nicaragua: Interesting choice, more research is required.
6. Barcelona, Spain: Who wouldn’t want to live in Barcelona? The problem is the cost. This is not a cheap place to live. It doesn’t make sense why it is on the list.
5. Chiang Mai, Thailand: I’ve only been to Chiang Rai and wrote a Travel Guide on that place too. Chiang Mai is always high on the list on nomadlist.com but if I’m going to Thailand, it’s going to be bustling Bangkok (Travel Guide here).
4. Santa Familia, Cayo, Belize: Unfortunately, when I think Belize, I think McAfee and that dumb show on Netflix. Looks like a beautiful place but I’m passing.
3. Las Terrenas, DR: This is the first time I’m hearing about this place. It was not on NomadList probably because, as Forbes says, “Infrastructure Is Improving.” I need reliable Wi-Fi to make it do what it do.
2. Medellin, Colombia: I went to Medellin last year and enjoyed it apart from my run in with aguardiente. For the sake of my health, I’ll pass.
- Carvoeiro, Algarve, Portugal: Here’s a choice I can get behind. Portugal is on my list for Where Should TPOL Move Next, and this city is a reason why.