You won’t see me in a Centurion Lounge anytime soon. My $550 annual fee came due on my Amex Platinum Schwab which I opened last year (see Amex Platinum Schwab Approved! No Recon Required). I decided enough was enough with these annual fees. I didn’t receive 1 MR as a retention offer. Instead, the agent went right into the speech. He seemed to take offense that I redeemed the $200 travel credit and now I was canceling. At this point, Ameriprise is the only Platinum left. For nostalgia, here is the Keep Vs. Cancel for every card in the series:
- Keep Vs. Cancel: Amex Platinum Charles Schwab (March 2019)
- Keep Vs. Cancel: Mercedes Amex Platinum (Year 2) (July 2018)
- Keep Vs. Cancel: Amex Platinum, Benz Edition (July 2017)
- Keep Vs. Cancel: Amex Business Platinum (July 2016)
- Keep Vs. Cancel: Amex Platinum (October 2016)
Why am I canceling?
- I don’t care about the Centurion Lounges which are generally too small and overcrowded (see Amex Centurion Lounge SEA: Crowded as Duck!).
- I’m sick of Uber (see Uber Pool FLL Scam! Don’t Waste Your Time).
- I rarely pay for airfare to capitalize on 5x.
Since 2015, I have been a platinum man and have earned and redeemed hundreds of thousands of points. Now my face has literally been scratched off the card.