What’s better than flying Emirates Shower Class? Flying Emirates Shower class for a second time. Yesterday I wrote that Etihad had no last-minute award space. Today, I’m here to boast that I have just added Emirates First Class from JFK-DXB-PVG to one of the most luxurious yet inexpensive bookings ever, my trip to Tahiti.
Booking an Emirates flight on Alaska for one person is straightforward. Enter the origin and the destination and then be sure that you don’t select a mixed cabin flight.
Booking an Emirates flight for two is a little trickier. When you search for two and find availability, this is what will show:
The problem is that your miles may be in two accounts and Alaska will say you don’t have enough miles to book. Intuitively, it makes sense to book one flight and then return to book the next. However, when you go to do so, availability for that second flight will disappear. At this point, it’s time to panic and try an incognito browser. That won’t work so you must call Alaska directly and speak to the partner awards desk. They’ll see the availability and try to charge you a phone booking fee. Explain the situation and it will be waived. And with that, you are now free to take a shower high in the sky.
For my itinerary, I have a stopover in Dubai for one night and then it’s back to the greatest city in the world, Shanghai, for a few nights before going to Tahiti for far too long. From there there’s a stopover in New Zealand (Auckland not Wellington) then it’s either back to Shanghai or Bangkok depending on if I choose to abandon ship.
Here’s where I stand in my constructing Tahiti Triumph Trip Report:
- Emirates Shower Class: New York to Dubai to Shanghai: 100k Alaska Miles + $19
- Shanghai – Papeete via Auckland on 787 Dreamliner Business: 60,000 United Miles Round Trip!
- InterContinental : Le Moana Bora Bora: Double Beach Bungalow; 1 Night; Stay Certificate; $0
- InterContinental : Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa ; Overwater Villa; 2 Nights; 100k ; $0
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa: King Guestroom Garden; 5 Nights; 280k; $0
- Papeete via stopover in Auckland to either Bangkok or Shanghai; $103
This redemption is beginning to rival my $77,000 Trip Heard Round the World. Maybe I can round it off nicely by flying Etihad Apartments home.