Call me an instigator but I can’t help myself when I see something ridiculous (Blog Roast OMAAT: Starting Posts with Ouch, Wow, Uh Oh, Wild, Major, Whoa). Like a vigilant subway rider, I have to say something. Today’s ire is directed at fellow BA blogger OMAAT and his new website enhancement. Commenters can earn status based on the number of times they post on his site and the community’s reaction to the usefulness of said comments. Per his post, there are five tiers:
- Guest — this is someone who just comments without registering for an account
- New Member — this is someone who registers for an account, but hasn’t interacted that much yet
- Member — this is someone who has interacted pretty significantly in the community, and has earned 25 points
- Gold — this is someone who is very engaged in the community, and has earned 250 points
- Diamond — this shows the highest level of interaction in the community, for those who have earned 500 points
OMAAT’s cultish nerds may love this idea and perhaps he is correct that it will create a more substantive comment section but where will the trolls go to spew their vitriol? Introducing TPOL’s Black & Blue Status. Commenters will be awarded for beating me up in the comments section. The rudest most disrespectful comments will receive the highest number of points. At the end of the year, the individual who delivers the knockout blow will receive the grand prize – a special shout out in my annual Festivus Airing of Points Grievances. For inspiration, here are a few comments directed at me personally:
- James Dookey: Worst blogger, overrated, won’t return!
- Mario Dopico: Dude, I’m sorry , I thought I read an article on The points guy site…I did not realize I was reading an article from a rip off loser site..my bad..goodbye
- LinMarie Hirst: can you retire from blogging too douchebag?
Can you do better? Take your best shot to earn Black & Blue Status.