Santurce is part of the Despacito! TPOL Moves to Puerto Rico Trip Report. Catch up on the past episodes.
- House Hunters (Semi) International: Where to Live in Puerto Rico
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Dapper Dorado?
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Easy Life, Isla Verde
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Golf in Palmas del Mar?
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Say No to Condado
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Old San Juan, America’s Most Beautiful City
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Ocean Park, Nice Until It Floods
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Like Scottsdale*, Move to Guaynabo
- House Hunters Puerto Rico: Bored in Beautiful Bahia Beach
All I knew before moving to Puerto Rico was San Juan. I’ve looked everywhere for a place to live and nothing stood out. One place that caught my attention was Santurce. It’s close to Condado and Ocean Park meaning it’s close to nightlife, the beach, and my favorite place, Kasalta. And golf? Maybe golf is a rich man’s game. Maybe I should wait until I’m Bahia or Dorado rich to think about joining a club. Maybe I should move to Santurce, a place that is up and coming. Think of it as Puerto Rico’s Brooklyn.
Santurce has food. From the food trucks to the restaurants on Calle Loiza, there are plenty of places to eat.
La Placita for Nightlife
If you’re looking for a block party, albeit usually one with 18-year-olds sipping Medalla, head to La Placita. There’s always something going on.
I contemplated buying a place at Ciudadela. It’s a condo development with restaurants and a grocery store all in one place. There’s also a Planet Fitness which I don’t consider to be a real gym because of the lack of free weights. Then I asked for prices. The two bedrooms started at 300k and the 3 bedrooms went for 500k. Compared to Condado, it was cheaper but the smaller units didn’t have balconies, there was no ocean view, and the area around the complex was far from the island enchantment I was searching for.
Think of Santurce as Puerto Rico’s Brooklyn. I used to live in Brooklyn. I don’t like Brooklyn. I like golf. I must find golf.