What is the craziest, most adventurous activity you have done? Like going to sports events worldwide (see Wide World of Sports: The Best of Where I’ve Been), I’m running out of must dares. Here’s a recap and ranking of my favorites in order of perceived danger:
- Bungee jumping in Zimbabwe (see 3,2,1 Bungee! Bungee Jumping Victoria Falls).
- Category 3 rapids in Bhutan (see Finding Happiness: Bhutan Day 3)
- Paragliding in Pokhara (see Paragliding Pokhara: Born to Be Alive)
- Crocodiles in Darwin (see Guns & Butter: Darwin Travel Guide)
- Swimming with ‘Great Whites’ in South Africa (see Ripoff Alert! Great White Cage Diving in South Africa with SharkLady Adventures)
- Zip-lines in Costa Rica (see Guns & Butter: Liberia Travel Guide)
- Devils’ Pool in Zambia (see The Devil’s Pool Zambia: Lounging Atop Victoria Falls)
- Swimming with Sharks in Moorea (see Swimming with Sharks & Stingrays in Moorea)
- Safari in Kenya (see Maasai Mara: Day 1 of Safari & Amboseli National Park: My Second Beautiful Safari)
- Touring the Salt Flats of Bolivia (see The Definitive Guide to Going)
There is a risk of something going wrong when doing any of these activities. Last week, a bungee jumper’s rope broke in Thailand. He survived with minor injuries. The only activity on my list that I thought would be scary was the bungee. It was not. It was both safe and exhilarating. The only other activity that provided a similar rush was white water rafting. The others were fun and adventurous but did not have the same level of thrill.
As TPOL has turned 9 (see Simply The Best: TPOL, The Professor, Turns 9!), I am seeking to top what I have done in the past but am more conscious about avoiding death. Accordingly, I will go skydiving, but I won’t go wingsuit flying. I will go rock climbing, but I won’t go free soloing.
Looking back, I don’t know if I should be proud that I have done so much or depressed that I’m running out of things I want to do (see I’ve Done Too Much, Now What?).
Run with the bulls this year?
I flew off aircraft carriers for 4 years. I believe there are several jet/dogfight flight opportunities around the world. I would suggest that as something more interesting rather than all these beefed up tourist experiences.
Ooh more details please. And one must do the basics before graduating to the next round.
I don’t have specific details but I know they exist and I’ve seen some travel bloggers post about them. Russia used to be a good place for this, but not so much now I imagine. There are operations in Switzerland I think.
I have already ‘been there, done that’ so I don’t keep an eye out for opportunities but when I see them posted on blogs I take note. Expensive for sure, but makes these other touristy things pale in comparison.
I have 311 traps if that’s what you were wondering 🙂 (and 42 combat missions)
Thank you. You can’t be so against tourist things. If you are, then you’re more bored than I am.